The Monroe County Department of Environmental Services (DES) and the towns of Perinton and Pittsford and the villages of East Rochester, Fairport and Pittsford have joined forces to hold an appointment-only Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) collection at the Perinton Highway Garage, 100 Cobb's Lane, on Saturday, May 14, 2016 from 7:45 am to 1:00 pm.
Most HHW (paint, flammables and other chemicals from home-use) is safe when used and stored properly.
When they become unwanted and are disposed of improperly, these household wastes can become environmental hazards. This collection will also accept your old computer and electronic equipment for recycling. Drop off your unwanted computers, laptops, modems, servers, peripherals, GPS Units, cell phones, fax Machines, copiers, CD Players, IT equipment, audio/ visual equipment, and telecommunications equipment. No appointment is necessary if you are only recycling electronics. Personal (residential only) document shredding will also be offered free of charge.
To ensure safety and reduce waiting times, appointments are required at all HHW collections. Appointments for this HHW collection will be accepted until May 13. To schedule an appointment Perinton and Fairport residents should call 223-5115. Pittsford and East Rochester residents can call 248-6250, or you can go on-line to http://www.monroecounty.gov/hhw to schedule your appointment. This collection is open to all Monroe County residents. Waste from businesses will not be accepted.
Up to 30 gallons of the following materials will be accepted per appointment at no charge:
- Oil-based & Latex Paint (for 1/3-gallon or less of latex paint: discard lid, add kitty litter, let dry, place can in trash)
- Wood Stain & Preservatives
- Automotive Fluids (antifreeze; brake, power steering and transmission fluids)
- Pesticides & Fertilizers
- Flammable Products (gasoline, kerosene, thinners, strippers, solvents)
- Household Cleaners (liquid soaps & waxes, drain cleaners, etc.)
- Driveway Sealer
- Pool & Photo Chemicals
- Rechargeable (Ni-Cad) & Button Batteries
- Mercury (thermometers, thermostats)
- Syringes/Sharps (safely packaged)
If residents are unable to take advantage of this one day HHW collection, the County offers other collections throughout the year. For more information or for business waste disposal options, please visit www.monroecounty.gov/hhw