Friday, December 19, 2014
 

About the East Rochester Local History Room

Fryatt Memorial Building

In the late 1950s, Lucille Saunders, the East Rochester Village Historian, had visions of collecting and preserving local history information and artifacts. The Village was only 60 years old with many early settlers still living in town. The year 1947 marked the 50th anniversary of the founding of the Village. Material had been researched and collected for the event and later it became the start of the Local History Department. Read more »

A Brief History of East Rochester

East Rochester was originally called Despatch because of its proximity to the railroad. The word came from the name of the first major company to locate here, the Merchants Despatch Transportation Company, most often referred to as the Carshops. Read more »

A Message about Donating to Our Collection

The East Rochester Local History Department has over 5000 pieces of memorabilia relating to the village. Some consider our archives "East Rochester's Attic." That description is far from accurate. While it is true that for over 40 years, we have been quietly collecting all things "East Rochester," our collections are not reminiscent of a dusty basement. Read more »

 
About East Rochester

Walter Parce, a native of Fairport, was instrumental in founding the planned village of "Dispatch" in 1897, which was named after its first major business.   Learn more »

Get in touch

Town/Village of East Rochester
317 Main Street
East Rochester, New York 14445

Phone number : (585) 586-3553
Fax number : (585) 419-8282