Informal Review Procedure
An Informal Review of your assessment may be requested after October 1st through the following April 1st
All informal reviews will require an interior and exterior inspection of the property by an Assessment Department staff member. The purpose of a physical inspection is to ensure that the inventory (square footage, bedrooms, baths, etc.) on the assessment record is accurate and to evaluate the condition of the property.
Property owners who are in disagreement with their assessed value must provide information to the Assessment Department that they feel is relevant to their property's value. Some types of pertinent information are as follows:
· A recent appraisal of the property. Please note that the Assessment Office will review appraisals completed for financing or estates, etc. If an appraisal is submitted specifically for an Assessment challenge, the date of the appraisal must be completed by the date set forth by law, which is the preceding July 1st.
· A recent listing of the property showing the asking price, time on the market and any offers made.
· A recent sale of the property (copy of the purchase contract).
· Recent sales of similar properties in the neighborhood.
· Photographs showing aspects of the property that would affect the value.
NOTE: No change in assessed value will be considered without a physical interior and exterior inspection of the property. The owner must supply information to support a different value than what has been determined by the Assessment Department.
Change of Assessment Notices resulting from an informal review will be sent to the property owner between May 1st and May 15th.