Please help us preserve & improve the high quality of life we enjoy in East Rochester.
Here are some common examples of when a building permit is required within the Town/Village of East Rochester:
- Installing a fence
- Installing a garden or tool shed larger than 47 square feet
- Converting a portion of a basement/cellar into a recreation room
- Installing a swimming pool - both in-ground or above ground
(capable of holding 24 inches of water of more)
- Installing a hot tub or spa
- Installing a deck
- Extending an electrical system
- Extending a plumbing system
- Installing a radio antenna tower
- Enclosing a porch
- Erecting a sunroom or gazebo
- Changing window sizes
- Demolishing an existing structure
- Rebuilding a structure on an existing foundation
- Building a house or a garage
- Roof- only if structural work is being done
- Installing a new driveway
In all cases, Building Permit applications must be accompanied by Two sets of detailed construction drawings(may be required to be stamped by a NYS licensed Architect or Engineer). Digital plans required for residential and commercial construction (exceptions: pools, sheds, decks & fences), via e-mail or disc.
In most cases, new structures require a survey map showing the location of the structure in relation to property lines.
NOTE: All permits must be acquired by the contractor performing the work and proof of General Liability and Worker's Compensation Insurance must accompany the application.
Insurance - AS REQUIRED BY NEW YORK STATE BUREAU OF COMPLIANCE (Proof of Liability and Worker's Compensation).
Acceptable Forms: Liability; Worker's Compensation (C105.2 or U-26.3 State Insurance Fund)
Please note: The Town/Village of East Rochester must be indicated as "Certificate Holder" and ALL forms must have 'Legal Name and Address of Insured's'; Information EXACTLY THE SAME on all forms.
If Worker's Compensation is not required, an Exemption Form (CE-200) must be submitted (Worker's Compensation Board's website: http://www.wcb.ny.gov/ or 1-518-486-6307).
Letter of Credit - Where applicable for site improvements.
Electrical - Must be inspected buy one of the following:
Please Note: the Town/Village does NOT inspect electrical work. The Building Inspector will pick up the final electrical sticker at time of final inspection. If the final electrical sticker is not onsite at the time of final inspection, it can be dropped off at or mailed to our office (Building Department, 120 W. Commercial Street, East Rochester, NY 14445).
OTHER APPROVALS PRIOR TO ISSUING A BUILDING PERMIT:
- Town/Village of East Rochester Public Works approval for work in Town/Village Right-of-Way
- Monroe County Department of Public Works approval (136 and/or 239K Permit) for structures fronting on or having access from county roads.
- New York State Department of Public Works approval for structures fronting on or having access from New York State roads.
- Monroe County Health Department approval for septic systems and food establishments.
CERTIFICATE OF OCCUPANCY / CERTIFICATE OF COMPLIANCE:
No land can be occupied or used and no building which is erected, altered, extended or has had a change of use, can be used until a Certificate of Occupancy / Certificate of Compliance is issued. After approval of all required final inspections (building, plumbing and electrical) and final site approval, the certificate will be issued.